Safety, Quality and Informatics Essay
Write 8-10 pages in which you identify a major patient-safety issue within your own organization and use evidence-based best practices and technology to develop a plan to improve the safety issue. Safety, Quality and Informatics Essay
Never use plagiarized sources. Get Your Original Essay on
Safety, Quality and Informatics Essay
Hire Professionals Just from $11/Page
As you prepare for this assessment, complete the following:
- Before you begin, examine your organization’s history of safety in a specific area and how your organization addresses patient safety issues. If possible, consult with a key stakeholder in the organization (such as an administrator) to better understand specific patient-safety concerns and how the organization is working to resolve the concerns. This person should also be able to discuss some of the organizational barriers impacting the patient safety issue.Safety, Quality and Informatics Essay
- Next, look at the basic concepts, principles, and practices that contribute to organizational quality improvement and patient safety. Review the literature for best practices and how technology might be used to improve the issue.
- Finally, be sure to consider the legal and ethical implications associated with the safety issue, as well as possible organizational barriers to change.
As you construct this assessment, address each point as completely as possible:
- Describe a patient-safety issue within your organization, comparing the way your organization addresses the issue with the concepts, principles, and practices that contribute to quality improvement and patient safety.Safety, Quality and Informatics Essay
- Analyze the legal and ethical consequences of not addressing the issue.
- Recommend evidence-based interventions, including technology, to address the patient-safety issue.
- Describe strategies to overcome specific organizational barriers to change, based on your knowledge of the organization.
- Format: Include a title page and reference page. Use APA style and formatting.Safety, Quality and Informatics Essay
- Length: Ensure your completed assessment is 8–10 pages in length, not including the title page and reference page.
- References: Cite at least five current scholarly or professional resources.
- Font: Use double-spaced, 12-point, Times New Roman font.
What is Nursing Informatics? Technology and innovation have transformed the way people function personally and professionally. In the past, writing and mailing a letter was standard but now most people send electronic messages and text messages to phones. Healthcare has been changing tremendously as well, not only are paper charts and records becoming obsolete, but now many facilities are sharing test results, visit information details, and prescribed drug lists. This move into the digital age has helped improve healthcare by cutting costs in the long-term, increasing efficiency with decreased wait times, and reducing medical errors.Safety, Quality and Informatics Essay This evolving technology expansion, commonly referred to as nursing informatics has created many…show more content…
Nurses can review vital signs history for a patient to spot abnormalities and creating a baseline with a few clicks of a mouse and identify inconsistencies and changes in health quickly, which saves not only time but lives too when using nursing informatics. Opportunities in nursing care can be discussed with management and the nursing informatics team to better serve patients
. There is a huge push to reduce costs in healthcare and nursing informatics helps save money while improving patient care. Various members of the healthcare team can now look at the same patient’s chart at the same time at many healthcare facilities. Nursing informatics professionals look for ways to improve the patient experience so that redundancy and waste are removed, but they try to keep the nursing process in mind to avoid sacrificing the level of care provided. Most jobs in this field are in hospitals, insurance companies, pharmaceutical and research companies, and healthcare consulting companies. The locations of available jobs are similar to those offered to a traditional nurse, but it is clear that this position is considered niche and the traditional nurse would have more job opportunities (“Johnson & Johnson Discover Nursing”, 2014). Safety, Quality and Informatics Essay
Informatics has affected many areas of the medical field. Informatics has improved the field by “helping people to revisualize and redesign their information management and knowledge management skills and learn new ways of using clinical data to mange clinical practice and patient care” (McLane & Turley, 2011). The purpose for this paper is to explore informatics in streamlining paperwork, provide decision support tools, and review contribution that is made towards patient safety. Informatics Streamline Paperwork and Communication Informatics has streamlined paperwork by putting information in a centralized location. Informatics has many avenues for developing improvement to patient care. The…show more content…
Accessibility The accessibility of health records is an advantage to everyone involved in the care of the patient and their outcome. The informatics designs a program with an Information Technology (IT) team to collect data, and retrieve data for the healthcare team. The programs designed are to have information updated on continuous bases and shared with the providers of the patient care (Crane & Crane, 2008, p. 139).Safety, Quality and Informatics Essay Responding to patient’s needs is faster due to the continuously updated information, shared information with the healthcare team, and easier access retrieval from multiple locations. The accessibility of information can be adapted for the use e-health. E-health is the communication through electronic devices to keep the patient and healthcare team informed. Asoh and Rivers (2010) stated the benefits of e-health is the accessibility of information and services from “anytime and anywhere” to use in the care and benefit of the patient (p. 182). Informatics Provide Decision Support Tools The medical field is always searching to increase the quality of patient care and outcome. The supporting tools from the informatics show the healthcare professionals a way for improvements to occur. The supporting tool of bar codes has decreased the medication error. The pathway and tracking of patients can lead to improvement in the quality of care administrated. Safety, Quality and Informatics Essay
Get your Plagiarism-free essays from Tutorsgallery.com