Application: Civil Evaluations
There are various types of forensic psychology evaluations that are helpful in issues germane to the civil courts. Some issues relevant to civil court proceedings include child custody issues, issues assessed by independent medical examinations (IMEs), competency issues of all types (i.e., competency to handle one’s financial affairs, competency to execute a will, etc.), and issues centered around civil commitment. In this Application you explore types of evaluations utilized in civil court proceedings, as well as the different reasons why and methods by which forensic psychology evaluations are performed.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review the assigned chapters in your course text Psychological Evaluations for the Courts. Pay particular attention to the psychological evaluations that are applicable to civil courts and when you would use each.
- Review the article “Assessing Decisional Capacity for Clinical Research or Treatment: A Review of Instruments,” and focus on the different evaluations used for assessing capacity to consent.
- Select three types of civil forensic psychology evaluations that are of interest to you.
- Think about the similarities and differences of the evaluations you selected, as well as when and why you would use each.
The assignment: (1–3 pages)
- Compare (similarities and differences) the three civil forensic psychology evaluations you selected.
- Then explain when you would use each evaluation and why.
- Finally, explain what insights you had or conclusions you drew based on your comparison.
- Support your response with references from the literature.
Need a custom written plagiarism free essay? Click here to order now.