Write a three-page paper in which you address one of the following scenarios:
You are an elementary school principal who is committed to ensuring that students are taught in a developmentally appropriate environment. Not all of your kindergarten teachers understand how to use developmentally appropriate practices (DAP) to create such an environment. You are also tasked with introducing and enforcing the use of a new state-mandated, textbook-based reading curriculum to your kindergarten teachers. The curriculum is based on the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts. As a principal, your job is to show teachers how they can successfully integrate the textbook and standards-based curriculum into their kindergarten classroom while maintaining a developmentally appropriate program. You decide to write a short article introducing the new curriculum that you will ask all the teachers to read prior to your first meeting.
In your paper you must include the following elements:
- Explain the purpose of the article/letter.
- Summarize, in your own words, developmentally appropriate practices (DAP) for teaching reading to kindergarten-age children (as defined by the NAEYC) with at least three specific examples of DAP in teaching reading for this age.
- Discuss the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts for teaching reading in kindergarten in your state from your perspective as an educator/parent committed to both DAP and high quality instruction. If your state uses the Common Core Standards, use these; if not use, whatever standards your state is currently using.
- Describe some of the possible effects of DAP and non-DAP practices on kindergarten-age children’s sense of self-efficacy in learning to read. Support your summary with at least two references, including your text.
- Explain at least three ideas for integrating the state-mandated textbook and standards-based curriculum with DAP. Use and cite at least one reference to support your ideas.
- Summarize your points asking for the inclusion of DAP into the new kindergarten reading program. Remember, your goal whether you take on the role of the principal or the parent is to support the school in continuing to use DAP while adopting and implementing the new curriculum.
The paper should be three pages in length, not including title and reference pages. Use at least one reference in addition to your text for a total of two references. You must cite each reference in your paper at least once.
Your paper should be written using the following writing guidelines:
- Use of graduate level writing with no grammar or spelling mistakes.
- Use of writing conventions such as good topic sentences, sub-headings, and transitions for ease of understanding.
- Formatted according to 6th edition APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Need a custom written plagiarism free essay? Click here to order now.