The words faith and doubt are easy to define, but they are much more difficult to live with. Faith is the belief in what is unseen or unsubstantiated in the physical sense as if it were in fact reality. Doubt is a particularly difficult concept for organized religions to handle—the doubts of a handful of believers, or even a single believer, can lead to a major change in a religion. Thus, as humans are we destined to doubt by human nature?
In an essay of 700 to 800 words, discuss the relationship between doubt and faith.
In your essay, address the following questions:
- What do the terms faith and doubt mean to religious philosophers?
- How do you define faith and doubt in the context of your life?
- What is the difference between saying, “I believe that,” and “I believe in”?
- Is faith, in the religious sense, a matter of opinion or of trust?
- Are faith and doubt incompatible? Are they opposite or complementary?
- Discuss the religious tradition (of the five options) where faith is most prevalent. Where doubt is the most prevalent. Do these religions offer insight into your own faith/doubt equation?
Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M2_A2.doc. For example, if your name is John Smith, your document will be named SmithJ_M2_A2. doc.
By Wednesday, October 14, 2015 deliver your assignment to the M2: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Examined the religious philosophic and personal definition of faith and doubt.||
|Performed significant critical analysis of faith as it relates to trust and belief systems.||
|Assessed the prevalence of faith in at least one religious tradition.||
|Explored the compatibility of faith and doubt.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||
|Justified ideas and responses by using appropriate examples and references from texts, Web sites, and other references, including correct APA format.||
Need a custom written plagiarism free essay? Click here to order now.